LEONARD COHEN - A TRIBUTE
19th Mar 2021 - 20th Mar 2021Starring
A Tribute Written by Perran Hahndiek and performed by Dave Starke About The Show
42 Cunningham Rd off Bartle Road, Durban
Leonard Cohen – A Tribute
Written by Perran Hahndiek and performed by Dave Starke
FRIDAY 19 MAR 2021 Show starts 19.00 – DBN
SATURDAY 20 MAR 2021 Show starts 19.00 – DBN
(Venue opens 90 minutes before show for snacks/drinks)
The critically acclaimed show, written by Perran Hahndiek and performed by Dave Starke, will have a two-night run on the 29th and 30th of January.
Created in early 2017, the show has been toured across South Africa including two successive years at The National Arts Festival Fringe during which Dave appeared in an unprecedented 27 performances over 8 days.
The show is an exploration of the life and works of the late musician and poet and features his music and poetry interspersed with anecdotes from his life and other literary writings. You can expect early hits such as Suzanne and So long Maryanne, the haunting Famous Blue Raincoat and Who By Fire?, lighter works such as Tower of Song as well as pieces from his final album You Want It Darker? that was released just before his death.
About the creators:
Dave Starke is a singer and guitarist based in KZN who has performed in a number of festivals and shows throughout South Africa and abroad over the last 20 years. He is a two-time semi-finalist in the UK Songwriting Contest and, in March of 2020, released his second studio album “Shifting Boundaries”.
Perran Hahndiek is a writer and poet based in Cape Town. He studied political science at UCT and is a procedural advisor to the National Assembly in the South African Parliament.
“Singer-guitarist Starke pays excellent tribute to Leonard Cohen, offering not only a well-researched history of the man, his poetry, music and achievements, but also insight into Cohen's thought processes. We also get various anecdotes, much interesting sideline info on the great poet and songwriter, and a lot of unexpected, dry humour. It is an elegant and captivating show, impressively lit by Sarah Claxon. It has the cool and confident Starke doing a great job with hits such a 'So Long Marianne', 'Suzanne', 'Sisters of Mercy', 'Hallelujah' and the moving 'The Treaty', as well as other hits and lesser-known material. Highly Recommended!” Bill Suter
“Dave Starke in ‘Cohen - A Tribute’ was the last scheduled show at the Rosebank Theatre, and one of the most brilliant. Quite simply Starke rocks!” William de Villiers
Durban’s Top Talent at the Rhumbelow Theatre.
Whilst we are not changing our 2020 pricing, we would ask that if you are able to please assist us and the performers by donating a higher ticket price.
R 160-00 a ticket
NO OTHER DISCOUNTS FOR THIS SHOW
Bring food picnic baskets or buy from Kevin.
ALL SEATING WILL BE AT SEPARATE TABLES AND WE WILL OBVIOUSLY BE SEATING CO-HABITING COUPLES AND/OR FAMILY MEMBERS.
Limited secure parking available
Booking is essential.
WITH THE CURRENT COVID LEVELS WE WILL BE LIMITING CAPACITY TO 50 PEOPLE MAX
FULL BAR AVAILABLE
(no alcohol may be brought on to the premises)
BOOKINGS ON EMAIL PLEASE : email@example.com
or COMPUTICKET http://events.durbantheatre.com/
For showbiz news, reviews and interviews don't miss Billy Suter's Website at https://sosuterbill.com/
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING COVID-19 PROTOCOLS FOR PATRONS
- HEALTH AND SAFETY PROTOCOLS FOR PATRONS
- Patrons need to wear a face and nose covering at all times in the venue except when eating or drinking.
- All patrons will have their temperatures taken on arrival at the venue.
- All patrons will be required to complete documents relating to Travel and Covid-19 contacts.
- All patrons will be required to complete an indemnity form.
- All patrons will be required to complete an attendance register with all appropriate information including confirmation of co-habiting when couples attend.
- All patrons will be hand sanitized on arrival and at interval.
- All patrons will be requested to bring hand sanitizer with them to the venue.
- Any patron who does not meet the required Health & Safety protocols and temperature check will be refused entry.
- Patrons above the age of 60 or a person with co-morbidities will be discouraged from attending performances. (GOVT GUIDELINES – please be guided by your own health status)